David Fedele is an independent documentary filmmaker, traveler, wanderer, dreamer, musician, part-time philosopher and full-time incessant thinker.
He entered the world of documentary filmmaking through a love of travel and exploring different cultures, having traveled extensively throughout Australasia, Europe, the Middle East, Africa and South America.
Generally working alone, self-producing and self-funding his own projects, David is particularly interested in exploring cultural, humanitarian, environmental and social justice issues.
His films have covered such diverse topics as sub-Saharan African migration in Morocco, electronic waste in Ghana and illegal logging in Papua New Guinea, and have been screened and broadcast widely, winning numerous awards around the world. All of his films are available to watch online for free HERE.
David’s latest film REVENIR (2018, 84mins) is a collaboration with Kumut Imesh from the Ivory Coast in West Africa, who now lives in France as a refugee. This film follows Kumut as he returns to the African continent to attempt to retrace and film the same journey that he himself took more than ten years ago, when forced to flee his country to seek asylum …. But this time with a camera in his hand.
The independent production of REVENIR was funded via a successful crowdfunding campaign, thanks to the support of 242 people from 35 countries around the world, under the working title Clandestine Crossing.
David’s previous film THE LAND BETWEEN (2014, 78mins) follows sub-Saharan African migrants living in the mountains of northern Morocco, dreaming of entering Europe for a better life. The film premiered and was awarded “Best Feature-length Documentary” at the FIFE International Environmental Film Festival in Paris, and has since been broadcast and screened widely around the world, winning many awards including Naples Human Rights Film Festival (Best Film), Festival of Migrant Film (Best Film) and Lampedusa Infestival (Best Film). It was also screened at the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium in 2015.
David was selected to participate in Berlinale Talents as part of Berlin International Film Festival in February 2014. He was also a jury member at the Cinema Planeta International Environmental Film Festival 2014 in Cuernavaca, Mexico, and President of the jury at the SREM International Environmental Film Festival 2015 in Srem, Serbia.
David has also independently recorded & released two albums of minimalist piano compositions; “UNREQUITED” and “SYNAPSIS”. You can listen HERE.
REVENIR – 84mins / 2018 (Produced, Directed and Edited by David Fedele)
– “Pre-Premiere” screening at Festival Migrant’Scene in Rabat, Morocco on 4th December 2017
THE LAND BETWEEN – 78mins / 2014 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Feature-Length Documentary” – FIFE International Environmental Film Festival 2014 – Paris, France
– WINNER “Best Film” – International Festival of Migrant Film 2014 – Ljubljana, Slovenia
– WINNER “Best Film” – Lampedusa In Festival 2014 – Lampedusa, Italy
– WINNER “Best Film” – Naples Human Rights Film Festival 2014 – Naples, Italy
– WINNER “Crossroads Award” – Festival delle Terre 2014 – Rome, Italy
– HONOURABLE MENTION – Antenna Documentary Film Festival 2014 – Sydney, Australia
– SPECIAL MENTION – International Festival of Cinema and Memory 2015 – Nador, Morocco
E-WASTELAND – 20mins / 2012 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Bronze Ladybug Award” – SREM Film Fest 2014 – Serbia
– WINNER “Best Australian Short Documentary” – Antenna Documentary Film Festival 2013 – Australia
– FINALIST “Best Documentary Science, Technology & The Environment” – ATOM Awards 2013 – Australia
– WINNER “Best Editing” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– FINALIST “Best Short Documentary” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– WINNER “Low Budget – Big Impact” – Wildlife Vaasa International Nature Film Festival 2012 – Finland
– WINNER “Special Prize of the Jury” – Matsalu Nature Film Festival 2012 – Estonia
BIKPELA BAGARAP (Big Damage) – 43mins / 2011 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Newcomer – ROSCAR Award” – Wild Talk Africa Film Festival 2013 – South Africa
– FINALIST “Best Documentary Short” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– WINNER “Audience Choice Award” – Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Festival 2012 – Malaysia
– WINNER “Special Mention” – The Village Doc Film Festival 2012 – Milan, Italy
PNG STYLE – 88mins / 2010 (Produced, Directed & Filmed by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Documentary” – Portobello Film Festival 2010 – London, United Kingdom