David Fedele is an independent documentary filmmaker, musician, composer, explorer and dreamer. For the past ten years he has been traveling the globe with a video camera in his backpack, mainly documenting humanitarian, environmental and social justice issues, in a self-taught style which he calls “cinematic journalism”.
David’s films have explored such diverse topics as sub-Saharan African migration in North and West Africa, electronic waste (e-waste) in Ghana, chronic kidney disease due to pesticide use in Sri Lanka, and illegal logging in Papua New Guinea, and have been screened widely, including at the European Union in Brussels (Belgium), winning numerous awards.
David mainly works alone, self-producing and self-funding his own projects, outside of any existing system or industry. He self-distributes his films, with a strong focus on grassroots, independent and community screenings and he shares all of his films and music for free online.
David was selected to participate in Berlinale Talents as part of Berlin International Film Festival in 2014. He has also been a jury member at the Cinema Planeta International Environmental Film Festival in Cuernavaca, Mexico, and President of the jury at the SREM International Environmental Film Festival in Serbia.
David’s latest feature-length film REVENIR (2018, 78mins) is a collaboration with Kumut Imesh from the Ivory Coast in West Africa, who now lives in France as a refugee. This film follows Kumut as he returns to the African continent to attempt to retrace the same journey that he himself took more than ten years ago, when forced to flee his country to seek asylum …. But this time with a camera in his hand.
A controversial film experiment, a courageous journey and a unique collaboration between filmmaker and refugee; which is not without consequences.
REVENIR (To Return) was awarded the Jury Prize at the Document Human Rights Film Festival 2018 in Glasgow, Scotland.
The independent production of REVENIR was funded via a successful crowdfunding campaign, thanks to the support of 242 people from 35 countries around the world, under the working title Clandestine Crossing.
David’s previous film THE LAND BETWEEN (2014, 78mins) follows sub-Saharan African migrants living in the mountains of northern Morocco, dreaming of entering Europe for a better life. The film premiered and was awarded “Best Feature-length Documentary” at the FIFE International Environmental Film Festival in Paris, and has since been broadcast and screened widely around the world, winning many awards including Naples Human Rights Film Festival (Best Film), Festival of Migrant Film (Best Film) and Lampedusa Infestival (Best Film). It was also screened at the European Parliament in Brussels, Belgium in 2015.
David has also independently recorded & released three albums of minimalist piano compositions; “A LIMINAL SPACE”, “UNREQUITED” and “SYNAPSIS”. You can listen HERE.
REVENIR – 84mins / 2018 (Produced, Directed and Edited by David Fedele)
– “Pre-Premiere” screening at Festival Migrant’Scene in Rabat, Morocco on 4th December 2017
THE LAND BETWEEN – 78mins / 2014 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Feature-Length Documentary” – FIFE International Environmental Film Festival 2014 – Paris, France
– WINNER “Best Film” – International Festival of Migrant Film 2014 – Ljubljana, Slovenia
– WINNER “Best Film” – Lampedusa In Festival 2014 – Lampedusa, Italy
– WINNER “Best Film” – Naples Human Rights Film Festival 2014 – Naples, Italy
– WINNER “Crossroads Award” – Festival delle Terre 2014 – Rome, Italy
– HONOURABLE MENTION – Antenna Documentary Film Festival 2014 – Sydney, Australia
– SPECIAL MENTION – International Festival of Cinema and Memory 2015 – Nador, Morocco
E-WASTELAND – 20mins / 2012 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Bronze Ladybug Award” – SREM Film Fest 2014 – Serbia
– WINNER “Best Australian Short Documentary” – Antenna Documentary Film Festival 2013 – Australia
– FINALIST “Best Documentary Science, Technology & The Environment” – ATOM Awards 2013 – Australia
– WINNER “Best Editing” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– FINALIST “Best Short Documentary” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– WINNER “Low Budget – Big Impact” – Wildlife Vaasa International Nature Film Festival 2012 – Finland
– WINNER “Special Prize of the Jury” – Matsalu Nature Film Festival 2012 – Estonia
BIKPELA BAGARAP (Big Damage) – 43mins / 2011 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Newcomer – ROSCAR Award” – Wild Talk Africa Film Festival 2013 – South Africa
– FINALIST “Best Documentary Short” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– WINNER “Audience Choice Award” – Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Festival 2012 – Malaysia
– WINNER “Special Mention” – The Village Doc Film Festival 2012 – Milan, Italy
PNG STYLE – 88mins / 2010 (Produced, Directed & Filmed by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Documentary” – Portobello Film Festival 2010 – London, United Kingdom