David Fedele is an independent documentary filmmaker, musician, composer, explorer and dreamer; always striving to push boundaries with his art.
For the past ten years he has been traveling the globe with a video camera in his backpack, mainly documenting humanitarian, environmental and social justice issues, in a self-taught style which he calls “cinematic journalism”.
David’s films have explored such diverse topics as sub-Saharan African migration in North and West Africa, electronic waste (e-waste) in Ghana, chronic kidney disease due to pesticide use in Sri Lanka, and illegal logging in Papua New Guinea, and have been screened widely, including at the European Union in Brussels (Belgium), winning numerous awards.
He is currently working on a new film documenting the lives of Sudanese asylum seekers and refugees living and sleeping on the streets of Rabat, Morocco.
David was selected to participate in Berlinale Talents as part of Berlin International Film Festival in 2014. He has also been a jury member at the Cinema Planeta International Environmental Film Festival in Cuernavaca, Mexico, and President of the jury at the SREM International Environmental Film Festival in Serbia.
David’s music is cinematic, contemplative and evocative in nature; combining intimate piano with soft electronics and orchestral elements, to create lush cinematic soundscapes, haunting melodies and hypnotic beats, blurring the boundary between electronic, orchestral, ambient and neoclassical music.
He also is the host of a liminal space video podcast, where he has conversations with inspiring people from around the globe, reimagining the world in which we live.
David mainly works alone, self-producing and self-funding his own projects, outside of any existing system or industry. He self-distributes his films, with a strong focus on grassroots, independent and community screenings and he shares all of his films and music for free online.
The best way to support David’s work is by watching, listening, and sharing his films and music with the world.
REVENIR (To Return) – 77mins / 2018 (Produced, Directed and Edited by David Fedele, Co-Directed by Kumut Imesh)
– WINNER “Jury Award” – Document Human Rights Film Festival 2018 – Glasgow, Scotland
THE LAND BETWEEN – 78mins / 2014 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Feature-Length Documentary” – FIFE International Environmental Film Festival 2014 – Paris, France
– WINNER “Best Film” – International Festival of Migrant Film 2014 – Ljubljana, Slovenia
– WINNER “Best Film” – Lampedusa In Festival 2014 – Lampedusa, Italy
– WINNER “Best Film” – Naples Human Rights Film Festival 2014 – Naples, Italy
– WINNER “Crossroads Award” – Festival delle Terre 2014 – Rome, Italy
– HONOURABLE MENTION – Antenna Documentary Film Festival 2014 – Sydney, Australia
– SPECIAL MENTION – International Festival of Cinema and Memory 2015 – Nador, Morocco
E-WASTELAND – 20mins / 2012 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Bronze Ladybug Award” – SREM Film Fest 2014 – Serbia
– WINNER “Best Australian Short Documentary” – Antenna Documentary Film Festival 2013 – Australia
– FINALIST “Best Documentary Science, Technology & The Environment” – ATOM Awards 2013 – Australia
– WINNER “Best Editing” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– FINALIST “Best Short Documentary” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– WINNER “Low Budget – Big Impact” – Wildlife Vaasa International Nature Film Festival 2012 – Finland
– WINNER “Special Prize of the Jury” – Matsalu Nature Film Festival 2012 – Estonia
BIKPELA BAGARAP (Big Damage) – 43mins / 2011 (Produced, Directed, Filmed & Edited by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Newcomer – ROSCAR Award” – Wild Talk Africa Film Festival 2013 – South Africa
– FINALIST “Best Documentary Short” – Social Impact Media Awards (SIMA) 2013 – U.S.A.
– WINNER “Audience Choice Award” – Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Festival 2012 – Malaysia
– WINNER “Special Mention” – The Village Doc Film Festival 2012 – Milan, Italy
PNG STYLE – 88mins / 2010 (Produced, Directed & Filmed by David Fedele)
– WINNER “Best Documentary” – Portobello Film Festival 2010 – London, United Kingdom
EMBERS (Single) – Released September 2023
REMNANTS (Album) – Released August 2023
EMPTY SPACES (Album) – Released July 2023
SHIMMER (Single) – Released June 2023
ELEMENTS (Single) – Released June 2023
A LIMINAL SPACE – Revisited (Album) – Released March 2023
UNREQUITED – Revisited (Album) – Released March 2023
SYNAPSIS – Revisited (Album) – Released March 2023
ACROSS OCEANS (Album) – Released September 2022
NEW DAWN (Single) – Released January 2022
LEVEGADA (Album) – Released December 2021
PASSING OF TIME (Single) – Released November 2021
FIRST LIGHT (Single) – Released November 2021
GANYMEDE (Single) – Released September 2021
ATLAS (Single) – Released August 2021
RISE UP (EP) – Released July 2021
MEZZANOTTE (Single) – Released March 2020
AN EVENING WITH DAVID FEDELE (Album & Film) – Released January 2020
LA LUNA (Single) – Released August 2019
A LIMINAL SPACE (Album) – Released March 2019
UNREQUITED (Album) – Released February 2017
SYNAPSIS (Album) – Released December 2015
PODCAST EPISODES (A Liminal Space)
Ep#16 : Tribes, Consciousness, Connection & Plant Medicine – in conversation with Bruce Parry
Ep#15 : The Role of Death in Life, and our Search for Meaning – in conversation with Sheldon Solomon
Ep #14 : Sand Talk : How Indigenous Thinking can Change the World – in conversation with Tyson Yunkaporta
Ep #13 : The Transformative Power & Magic of Music – in conversation with Cyrus Shahrad (Hiatus)
Ep #12 : Jet Stream Superman : Embracing Your Fears For a Fulfilled Life – in conversation with Marc Hauser
Ep #11 : Rites of Passage : Creating Liminal Space For Personal Growth – in conversation with Dr Arne Rubinstein
Ep #10 : Can Indigenous Wisdom Change the World? – in conversation with Hineani Tunoa Roberts
Ep #9 : Chasing Your Dreams. Adventure, Exploration & a Sustainable Life – in conversation with Jon Muir
Ep #8 : A Rebel Clown : Sharing Hope, Love and Compassion with the World – in conversation with Sabine Choucair
Ep #7 : Defending the Rights of the Worlds Most Vulnerable – in conversation with Felicity Gerry QC
Ep #6 : Art, Activism & Protest to Plant the Seeds of Change – in conversation with Chips Mackinolty
Ep #5 : Storytelling For a More Conscious & Compassionate World – in conversation with Alan Dean Foster
Ep #4 : An Aboriginal Man’s Personal Journey Towards Reconciliation – in conversation with Henry Purcell
Ep #3 : Meditation & Mindfulness to Improve Wellbeing & Happiness – in conversation with Ray Good
Ep #2 : Epidemic Modelling & Analysis : Covid-19 Pandemic – in conversation with Omer Tzuk
Ep #1 : Activist Filmmaking For Social & Political Change – in conversation with Iara Lee